Sandra's Reviews > Disney's Raiponce

Disney's Raiponce by Natacha Godeau

Aug 23, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-own, in-french, movie-or-tv, saw-the-movie-first, read-in-2011, art-books, fairytale
Read on August 23, 2011

This is the Tangled book they sell in Euro Disneyland Paris. It's an absolutely gorgeous book, filled with storyboard art. And let me tell you, that storyboard art is exceptionally gorgeous. I love the animation for Tangled, but the storyboard art has a completely different feeling to it and is equally gorgeous. And in the case of Flynn Ryder, I actually prefer his design in the storyboard art.

The story, naturally, is the same as in the movie. This means it's fun, uplifting and inspiring. Tangled is about chasing your dreams and believing in yourself, and this book definitely captures that sentiment.

The writing is fairly easy, it is a kid's book after all and even I, with my poor French, hardly had any trouble reading it. That however doesn't diminish the reading experience.

The only thing I dislike is that Pascal got relatively little screentime, although it is understandable. He is my favourite character though, and I missed him, especially in the tower scene, which was very unfortunately covered only very quickly.

But overall, wonderful! I love this series of books, I hope Disneyland will continue releasing these of more and more movies, it would be a fun thing to collect!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disney's Raiponce.

message 1: by Mizumi (new)

Mizumi Oh, that sounds lovely! Is it like a filmstrip or whatever they call it, or is it something different? Since you say 'storyboard art', but that could also mean it's the characters drawn rather than screenshots from the animation...
Boo for little Pascal screen time though. Sheesh. But glad you enjoyed it enough to give it five stars regardless~

Sandra Oh no, it's not a filmstrip. I called it storybook sketches because the art shown in the book keeps to the character designs of the movie, without it being screenshots. Basically, every double page has a huge drawing of the particular scene on the background, and there's one paragraph of text explaining what's going on in said picture.

Poor Pascal. But indeed, I always enjoy Tangled, you know that. ;)

message 3: by Mizumi (new)

Mizumi Ooooh, I see. Sorry, you're the only one who's reviewed it so I couldn't make it out ;) But now I get the picture, thanks!

He doesn't blend in with the background that much, storybook writers! ;) And yes I know~ you better should too, because Tangled is awesome. I mean, duh.

Sandra Haha, not that that is a surprise ;D

Actually, Pascal is green in all of these pictures. And he rarely does anything. *tears*

Duh indeed. :D