Josh's Reviews > I-5: A Novel of Crime, Transport, and Sex

I-5 by Summer Brenner

Aug 12, 11

bookshelves: own, reread, read_2011
Read on August 12, 2011, read count: 2

I5 forces the reader into a world of sex trafficking and explores the inner sanctum of a truly grotesque industry. Summer Brenner does a great job in setting a mood filled with depression while still maintaining a slither of hope. Anya, a vet at 23 has spent the last 4 years working for Mr. Kupkin, performing to his every whim and desire to ensure a happy and returning clientele. Due to her early success as establishing a client base and general acceptance of her situation, Kupkin provides Anya small glimpses of the more humane in extra day breaks, food, and additional roles within the agency - notably to mentor the more difficult newcomers. It is this work which leads Anya and her manager Marty down I5 towards Oakland to assist in breaking in new girl Tuzla, a fiery 17y/old not yet accustomed to brutal life she is destined lead. This is a story as much about survival and hope as it is about exploitation and crime. Fascinating and unrelenting from beginning to end, I5 will haunt me for many a time to come - 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I-5.

08/12/2011 page 53
08/12/2011 page 123
48.0% "just as good the second time around."