Emma's Reviews > Here Lies Bridget

F 50x66
Aug 12, 11

liked it
Read in August, 2011

This book actually made me cry. It was so hard to restrain myself from letting the tears fall. Towards the end, in particular, was most emotional.
"Bridget Duke is the uncontested ruler of her school"-snobby, posh little high school princess
"The meanest girl with the biggest secret insecurities. But when new girl Anna Judge arrives, things start to fall apart for Bridget-her friends dont worship her as attentively, teachers don't fall for Bridget's wide-eyed 'who me?' look, and the one boy she's always loved, Liam Ward, can barely even look at her"
"When a desperate Bridget drives too fast and crashes her car, she ends up in limbo-facing everyone she's wronged. Though she might end up dead, Bridget has one last shot at redemption and to right the wrongs she's inflicted on the people who mean the most to her."

"But Bridget's about to learn that sometimes, saying you're sorry just isn't enough..."

Surprisingly, Anna Judge turns out to be non-existent however present in Bridget's life. I believe Anna stands for the crucial time in Bridget's life in which Bridget confronts her true self, and she observes the two paths set out in front of her. She is faced with determining what sort of person she is now and who she truly is inside, as well as who she wants to become.
I believe the phrase- you dont really know what you have until its gone- refers to the love between Bridget and Liam, the fact that he left her because he felt a change in her, not the same Bridget he once loved, but all along he has still loved her and missed her. As they are reunited towards the end, a great surge of relief passes over the reader as we too experience Bridget's desire as well as regret for her past actions.

- She had always wished to be Cinderella, but just then, she had realised, she really was the evil stepmother instead.

A football match, bulimia, cute shoes, coronas, vitamin waters, Meredith, Cinderella, insults, bathroom cubicle, rumours, bananas, Miche, gossip, the boardroom, death, passion, realisation, determination.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here Lies Bridget.