Jack Getze's Reviews > Dead Head

Dead Head by Rosemary  Harris

Aug 30, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from August 12 to 30, 2011

Ms. Harris is a wonderfully entertaining writer, and you will love DEAD HEAD if you enjoy hanging out with quirky characters, laughing out loud, and don't need rough language or serious violence to have fun. The protagonist Paula -- a financially challenged landscaper -- has a tongue sharp enough to fell trees, knows where to kick aggressive males, and owns a very likeable view of the world. You will enjoy her comments on just about everything. Example: "She made disparaging remarks about my hair and alleged cup size. It went further south from there...still I stayed on the line. I was fascinated by her lung capacity. Perhaps she was a swimmer?" Sidekick Babe owns the Paradise Diner, and Babe's comments, attitude, and wisdom make your smile widen whenever the story turns back to the diner. Ms. Harris's series (this is number three) gets lumped into that popular "hobby cozy" sub-genre because Paula is a gardener, but Ms. H will work her magic regardless of your assumed tastes. Try this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Head.