Mae's Reviews > Long Time, No See

Long Time, No See by Dermot Healy

Aug 19, 11

bookshelves: ireland
Read from August 12 to 19, 2011

The Irish and the Irish way of life. Funny, sad, clever and wise. This is a side of Ireland that perhaps the Irish know well, but as a visitor it is perhaps a privilege to enter this world. The story starts with the coming and goings of a young lad, Psyche. We move into his home, with his parents. For the next 400 pages we will visits his granduncle and many of the villages Characters. The love demonstrated amongst this family and this community if frankly heartwarming.
As I read this book, I kept wondering, well, what is going to happen here? Is something amazing or interesting going on... Well, yes. Life. Life how it should be. Spending time with loved ones, defining out existence based on others. Taking care of them and helping each other out. For the first 200 pages i expected something major... then I didn't want the book to be over, I just wanted to continue with this family, with this group. I actually want to drive over there an enter their houses and spent some time, drinking wine with them, or visiting with them at the pub.
A lovely praise of Ireland and its way of life.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Time, No See.

08/12/2011 page 67
15.0% "Not liking the beginning. like written by a child."
08/15/2011 page 207
46.0% "when is something going to happen in this book...??? I mean, really, something better happen soon or I am going to stop reading!"