Bethany's Reviews > Juliet

Juliet by Anne Fortier

F_50x66
Aug 11, 11

Read in August, 2011

Wow, this book was incredible! I expected it to be some light, modern retelling of Romeo and Juliet, much like all the other sequels and retellings of classic literature, but it was so much more! Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down! I love the setup of the novel- switching timelines between each chapter. Sometimes, when the modern day parts were a little more exciting, I wanted to just skip what was medieval (simply because I wanted Julie/Guillietta to find Romeo!), but those times were rare. There were so many twists; I did not expect the ending at all! That last chapter was just perfect. It brought every little thing together, even the minor details that I had completely forgotten, and I loved thinking to myself, "Oh, so that's why they had to do that!" The writing was just beautiful.

I've never liked Romeo; I've always seen him and Juliet as complete idiots (who are only eloquent because they are written by Shakespeare). However, this book made me fall in love with him. Anne Fortier gave the "starcrossed lovers" reasons for loving each other passionately, and made their story tragic again. She made her modern Romeo my new favorite literary love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet.

Quotes Bethany Liked

Anne Fortier
“She laughed out loud, a warm, knowing laughter that made me once again wonder about the secret ingredient in these women’s lives. Whatever it was, I was clearly missing it. It was so much more than just self-confidence; it seemed to be the ability to love oneself, enthusiastically and unsparingly, body and soul, naturally followed by the assumption that every man on the planet is dying to get in on the act.”
Anne Fortier, Juliet