Ludmirska's Reviews > Smilla's Sense of Snow

Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg

U_50x66
Aug 11, 11

three stars for me growing so tired of too many details, characters, words...

once in a while there would be almost quotable, almost memorable thoughts put there by the writer and though the conditions were right: brief expression and "obvious" content, the two things that make a thought remarkable, still, something was missing. ... for me that is.

at times throughout the story the reader finds out some interesting facts about snow and ice, that have many different names in greenlandic languages. i kept imagining the story focusing almost entirely on this, ice and snow, world - smilla knows so much about it, there is so much intimacy when she talks about it. this, to me was the potential of the writer - unrealized.

among that which impressed me, is the feeling, almost palpable, of a winter morning, all snow, all dark, created throughout he book by the words and writing skill of the author.

the other is the translator, Tiina Nunnally, the same who i first began to appreciate while reading her translations of Klas Ostergren's works.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smilla's Sense of Snow.