Sally's Reviews > Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

Aug 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: biography
Read in August, 2011

A very interesting book about an interesting man. I appreciate hearing about people who lived through Hitler's reign and saw him for what he really was. Bonhoeffer was a brave and determined man with great focus. The German church at that time was a mess, but it was sad to read about the liberal theology weakening American Christianity also.

Metaxas' writing style was jarring. He tended to throw in colorful phrases that derailed my concentration rather than enhancing the narrative. For instance, in describing Hitler repeatedly postponing meetings and causing great stress, he wrote "Bonhoeffer followed every detail of these hemorrhoidal isometrics from England...." (208) Then right on the next page, talking about a sermon that Bonhoeffer had given that was more sober warning than uplifting cheer, he said, 'But alas, Pastor Bonhoeffer delivered an unrelenting homiletic bummer." (209) These kinds of phrases aggravate me to no end, like a scratchy tag in my shirt. He may have been trying for some creativity, but it just didn't flow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonhoeffer.

07/24/2016 marked as: read