Ash's Reviews > Guardian of the Gate

Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink

Aug 18, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, reviewed-typing-tiara-blog
Read from August 11 to 18, 2011

My review of Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink is based on a hardcover copy of the book that I borrowed from my local library. The following review is my honest opinion.

As the numbers of books in a series grow I expect to see the same in the characters they tell the stories of. There's nothing worse than having a character that resolutely stays the same or has no room to grow or change. Obviously Michelle Zink knew this well. In Guardian of the Gate Lia begins to show signs of growing into the woman that it will take to fulfill and ultimately bring an end to the prophecy. The Lia we were first introduced to tended to believe in everyone and to believe the best. In terms of the prophecy that she is at the center of this kind of naivete will not serve her well. She begins to grow into the kind of heroine that she needs to be if she's going to be the surviving sister at the end of the prophecy. As I read I began to like her more and more.

In my previous review I mentioned a slight frustration in knowing nothing of James aside from the fact that he likes books and Lia. Well...okay that doesn't give me much to go on. I had hoped when I picked up this book to learn more of him, that maybe he would be the dashing hero that would race in and work relentlessly at Lia's side. Not so much. Instead we are given Dimitri. And oh wow am I thrilled with the gift. There are not thank you cards epic enough to express my graditude. Just read and see. ;]

With this book readers are told more of the prophecy and we're finally introduced to the reclusive Brothers and Sisters. I'll admit this might have been my favorite section of the book. I loved learning more about the intricate history that Michelle Zink had created for her trilogy and still am eager to learn more. It's rich and best of all, believable. Bravo!

For me this book held my interest far better than the third, I could barely put it down to deal with the everyday household chores. I wanted to know more. I wanted to know what was going to happen next. This book has me sold on the trilogy and really curious about the third and final book. I'm giving Guardian of the Gate a four out of five stars review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian of the Gate.

08/18/2011 page 24