Michelle Kelly's Reviews > Saving Grace

Saving Grace by Julie Garwood

Aug 11, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-read

Wonderful add to my Julie Garwood collection.

I put up both covers of Saving Grace because I have both books. Julie Garwood books are so timeless. The cover may change and age but her stories go on and on regardless of the decade.

I have a stack of Julie Garwood books on my shelf. I haven't read them all yet. I try to pace myself because I just love them so much that I don't want to run out of her historicals. Sadly this depletion is the case. I only have a few left that I haven't read. I save them for when I am in a "Julie Garwood mood". I just finished up a week of excellent contemporary romance books by Jill Shalvis and then I dove right into a sexy erotic cowboy book by Lorelei James. I was due to be whisked way back in time to 1206.

The Prologue (love Garwood's Prologues) of Saving Grace starts the reader out with the proper frame of mind. Only a few pages into Saving Grace and it was revealed that a Holy Bishop Hallwick's teachings dictate that women are so low on the "God's Love Hierarchy" that even a dull-witted ox is placed above women. So going into chapter one, you can guess my frame of mind.

Then you are introduced to Johanna. You take pity on the poor thing as she was forced into a marriage barely into her teen years and her not so gentle husband abused her. As you can imagine, Johanna was timid and very fearful. Even with her heartbreaking back ground, you get the sense through her brave actions that she is cunning and if given the chance, she would shine.

What I particularly liked about Saving Grace is how I could literally see the growth of the characters. In regards to Johanna, Saving Grace starts out with her struggling just to maintain eye level glances with the Laird MacBain and slowly you read about her growing and becoming more confident. I had a sense of pride towards her on more than a few occasions.

The Laird MacBain was taken with Johanna literally on the day he met and married her. (Oh yes, it was a very quick wedding to solidify the match). He handled Johanna with gentle touches and at times he was afraid she would break. It did get annoying to constantly hear him dictate that she needed to rest even when she was just getting out of bed in the morning. His world of wedded expectation for a wife was to get up, not go outside and then sit in front of a fire and sew all day. Poor silly man didn't really know what hit it him when he finally figured out how much he ended up loving Johanna.

There was an abundant of humourous moments, a few courageous rescues and with lots and lots of love I found Saving Grace a very enjoyable read that will satisfy me until I reach for my next Julie Garwood.

Teasers: wolf fight, barbarians learning manners, plaid merger, Holy redemption

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Grace.