Richard's Reviews > Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: russian-literature

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crime and Punishment.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kyle You seem to not be exactly in love with the Russian literature, Richard. Has there been one you've loved?

message 2: by Richard (last edited Feb 02, 2013 09:02PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Richard Kyle wrote: "You seem to not be exactly in love with the Russian literature, Richard. Has there been one you've loved?"

As important as this one is philosophically and all that, I have to admit, I found it bizarre and depressing.

I liked War and Peace, except for the horrible epilogue which seemed rather tacked on, and very abstract and difficult. I didn't mind The Idiot or Fathers and Sons. I was very interested by some of the stories in Lyubka the Cossack.

I enjoyed a few things which are not listed as read on my shelves: Tolstoy's "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" and Chekhov's play, "The Cherry Orchard." I read one book which had two Russian SF novellas, but I can't remember the name of the author. [Edit: I just located it and added it.] I also read a collection of Russian folk/fairy tales which I enjoyed immensely but I can't remember the specifics about compiler/translator.

I am still working through my collection of Russian literature, Kyle. I've started a few of the big ones and didn't have the patience or stamina to complete them. I got about halfway through The Brothers Karamazov, and it got VERY weird. I also started Anna Karenina but got only about 50 pages into it.

So, it's true I've had a bit of a rocky relationship with the Russians. But I'm working on it.

Kyle Well, I suppose rocky relationships and Russians go together, so I can't blame you. ;) Though I do hope you'll give The Brothers Karamazov another chance sometime in the future; I'm actually thinking about re-reading it maybe next year or so.

I haven't made it to The Idiot yet, though I plan on tackling it this year.

Richard Kyle wrote: "Well, I suppose rocky relationships and Russians go together, so I can't blame you. ;) Though I do hope you'll give The Brothers Karamazov another chance sometime in the future; I'm actually thinki..."

Yes, I do plan on re-reading The Brothers Karamazov. Maybe we could do a buddy-read?

Kyle Sounds great! Just let me know whenever you're feeling in a very Russian mood, and I'll join you :)

Richard Kyle wrote: "Sounds great! Just let me know whenever you're feeling in a very Russian mood, and I'll join you :)"

Sounds like a plan! I've got many weighty tomes lined up for this year, so next year sounds good.

Kyle Perfect! I have a mound of beasts to slog through this year as well.