Marieke's Reviews > The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Omnivore's Dilemma.

08/11/2011 page 42
9.0% "Okay, I get it. Corn. Corn corn corn corncorncorncorn and yeah, more corn. Fair warning to my friends who suffer from Michael Pollan googley eyes: I tried to read Botany of Desire once upon a time and couldn't. I expect to suffer just slightly less with this book. I might even finish it." 6 comments
08/15/2011 page 90
20.0% "I'm feeling a little less crabby at Pollan. But will be identifying my points of aggravation." 1 comment
08/16/2011 page 124
27.0% "Feeling a bit more appreciative now of having been beaten over the head with corn corn corn. Off to read my ketchup and salad dressing labels..."
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Always wanted to read this one! How is it so far?

Marieke I thought I wasn't going to like it, butthe more I read it the more I like it. I'll try to write a review that makes sense re: what bugs me and what I think is good/great about this book. But you should definitely read it!

Alasse Oooh, I'm probably reading this soon! So, is it mindblowing environmental militant stuff, or just annoyingly hipsterish?

Marieke It's at the annoyingly hipsterish end of the spectrum but worth reading. I'm glad I read it. I'm trying to put together a review...

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin I've had it on my shelf for quite some time, but I've been reluctant to read it. I've got not patience for a food polemic now or in the near future.

Marieke That's one of the things that surprised me, Kevin...it actually wasn't much of a polemic. Polemicists can take things from it, but I didn't feel like that is what Pollan was trying to do with this project. Ugh! Must write my review!

Jayme Three stars? Half a downboat, Marieke.

Marieke I was fully expecting to one-star this book, jayme! You should be happy with my generosity! Hahaha!

Alasse Whaaa? Why'd you read it then? :(

Marieke A group made me. lol.
And I'm glad it did!
Jayme, will you give that half a goat back?

Jayme No.