Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)'s Reviews > If You Were Here

If You Were Here by Jen Lancaster

Aug 11, 2011

liked it
Read from August 11 to 12, 2011

If you grew up in the 1970′s and 1980′s you know the impact John Hughes made. From National Lampoon to Home Alone, Uncle Buck to Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, everyone has got a favorite John Hughes movie. You probably still stop what you are doing to watch The Breakfast Club or Pretty in Pink. You also wish Sam chose Duckie and not douche rocket Blane. I could go on for days. Apparently so can Jen Lancaster in her first foray into fiction.

Mia makes a living writing Amish Zombie novels and after some “issues” with a gang, it’s time to move from the big City. Mia grew up loving John Hughes movies and has always wanted to live in the suburb were most of his movies were made. Mia and her husband Mac embark on an epic (swear) journey to find the perfect house, but they end up settling…..for Jake Ryan’s house. Said house hasn’t been touched since Sixteen Candles and Mia is convinced all their HGTV viewing will help them DIY the shit out of the house.

If You Were Here is Jen Lancaster’s fiction debut, but make no mistake she is still fall out funny. I did some very unladylike snorts whilst reading and one scene in particular (bathtub reading scene) made me cry, I could picture it happening. It’s also very bittersweet, Mia has a habit of going to place flowers on John Hughes grave and letting him know what’s been going on in her life.

There’s also nods to Mrs. Lancaster’s real life for example Mia’s dogs Duckie (Loki), Daisy (Maisy), etc. So you know Mia is all sorts of Jen and Mac is a little bit of Fletch (Mrs. Lancaster’s husband) things we’ve loved in her memoirs. But rest assured, the writing style is exactly the same, right down to the footnotes.

While I loved the book, I wasn’t a fan of the ending. I felt it came really fast and was wrapped up a bit too neatly for my taste. Especially when we’ve been through issue after issue, and bam there’s the end. On a side note, I had no idea Holmes on Homes aired in the US. There also wasn’t very much momentum, at some points the book dragged for me.

That said, it was cute but I think I like Mrs. Lancaster’s memoirs a bit better. If you’ve never read Mrs Lancaster’s memoirs, you’ll love this book. But if you’ve read the memoirs, you’ll wish she had actually bought the house and told the story instead of the fictionalized version.

Now pardon me, I feel the need to watch Sixteen Candles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Were Here.

08/11/2011 page 31