Becki's Reviews > Unlocked: A Love Story

Unlocked by Karen Kingsbury

Aug 16, 11

bookshelves: 2011, kindle
Read from August 11 to 16, 2011

So, just after reading chapter one, I already have a prejudice against this book. I really feel for people who have autistic children, but WHY do they insist on blaming it on vaccinations?? There is NO PROOF that vaccinations cause autism. In fact, they've proven that there is NO LINK between vaccinations and autism. It just makes me mad when parents of autistic children want there to be some outside reason for their child being the way they are. Why can't they just accept that this is who God made these children to be? If the book continue this way, it may very well be the only Karen Kingsbury book I don't finish. That would make me sad.

*******************************************************************

I finally finished this book (after mourning the loss of my Kindle). I'm really disappointed that throughout the book she kept insinuating that vaccinations caused Holden's autism. *sigh* If I take out that part, I really liked the story. It was sweet and it ended right.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unlocked.

08/16/2011
100.0% "So, just after reading chapter one, I already have a prejudice against this book. I really feel for people who have autistic children, but WHY do they insist on blaming it on vaccinations?? There is NO PROOF that vaccinations cause autism. In fact, they've proven that there is NO LINK between vaccinations and autism. It just makes me mad when parents of autistic children want there to be some outside reason for their"

message 1: by Rae (new)

Rae Stapp Becki - I haven't read this book, nor do I have plans to - but I just want you to know that I KNOW Samantha didn't contract Autism from her vaccinations...

katie i completely agree. i had only read the prologue and got so frustrated with the vaccination insinuation. i am about half done and so tired of it coming back over and over. it is hard to have a child with a disability like autism and not know how they got it, but looking for things like vaccinations to blame doesn't really do anything but cause undue panic about getting totally necessary vaccinations. its books like this that give people incorrect ideas about autism.

Katie Jenkins I teach children with Autism and I do not believe that vaccinations are the cause, however, when I read that in the book I figured Kingsbury chose that explanation because it is so largely followed. Just because she used that as the mother's viewpoint doesn't mean SHE personally believes that is the cause. There are a lot of parents out there that do believe that and are withholding vaccinations because of it. She always researches things that she includes in her books.

Cheryl u are so off...u could not read the same book as I did..it was beautiful, heart touching..it wasn't about autism...it was about friendship, suicide in teens, and most importantly about God

Becki Well, I said I liked it. I just didn't like the insinuations about autism. Blaming vaccinations was just something that didn't need to be repeated over and over to further the story.

And, yes, it was about autism. Did you miss the whole part where the main character was autistic?

And it's spelled "you".

Cheryl I'm sorry I really didn't mean to offend you...I get you...u intrigued me...and I love talking about books...my literature teacher in college once told me...the best things about books are that no two opinions are exactly alike...I added you as a friend if u can look beyond my opinions..god bless

Becki Oh no, I wasn't offended. People have different opinions. It's all good. :)

Maxine Owen My son is seven and has high-functioning Autism. It's called Asperger's Syndrome. I have never looked for something to blame for his Autism. I feel that he was made exactly how he is supposed to be. A good friend of mine has a severely Autistic son. In her opinion, the Autism was caused by vaccinations.
I will be the first to tell you that I don't truly know what causes it; I just accept my little boy for who he is.
I recently published my own book on Autism. It is called Cameron's Journey. It doesn't have all of the answers. I simply tell our story. People who are going through a situation such as ours need to know that they're not alone.

Becki I have a friend whose son is an "Aspie", as she calls him. She's never blamed vaccinations, either. Thanks for sharing!

Maxine Owen If you have spent any time with your friend's Aspie, you probably know how literal they take things. My younger daughter showed my little Aspie the cover of my newest book yesterday morning. She said, "Cameron, what are you doing on this book?" He said, "I was going to school."
It was funny because it was true. He was getting ready to leave for school when I snapped the picture that is on the cover of the book.

Susan Bowman It never ceases to amaze me how those whom don't have a child with autism are full of answers. Unlocked is a beautiful book and Jesus encouraged my soul while reading it. For me, the opinions karen shares on vaccinations were just that, opinions. A Part of this story. My child is made perfect in gods image and I'm thankful He gave him to us.

Susan Bowman Us. Irritating when my keyboard cuts me off ...

message 13: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara The reason why parent of autistic childeren blame the vaccinations is because they have small amounts of mecury in them and like in the book it would seem like the vaccines you have at a time the more mercury is being injected into you. Scientists though don't want to really be blame for causing a young child to become autistic. If vaccinations are really the cause it would be most likely the doctors fault because in the case of Holden Harris he was given 9 shots on one day and you should on really have 3 or 4 shots per visit. I hope this helps explain it a little better.

message 14: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna I believe food (GMOs in particular) have a lot to do with autism. That's really the only thing besides vaccination.