Carie's Reviews > Execution

Execution by Alexander Gordon Smith

Aug 31, 11

Read from August 11 to 15, 2011

Maybe more of a 3.5. This is probably my least favorite book of the series--it really did get a bit over-the-top crazy at times, but I still thought it was a satisfying ending to the series. I liked the attempt to explain why Furnace was the way he was. I LOVED the friendships throughout this whole series and the shows of emotion from the characters. I also liked the pervasive theme of hope in each book (though a lot of faith, patience, and long-suffering are required of the reader in this series!) and that I was never able to predict what would happen next. There were a few things I didn’t like (see SPOILERS below), but overall it’s a solid ending. I really liked the epilogue on the Furnace website, too!! (The usual warning: still tons of violence and gore in this installment.)

**SPOILERS**: There were entirely too many “near death” moments. And, overall, I thought things really went too far with Alex--very nearly beyond the point of no return and he seemed to continually have to make the same choice over and over again throughout the series. I guess the idea was “how low can you go--how far can you go--and still pull yourself back?”, but it was really too much for me at times. I found it hard not to constantly despair at all that Alex had lost and that he could never have any semblance of normality in his future. The last 3 books of this series started to remind me of the “Uglies” series by Scott Westerfeld, but Furnace was better IMO because Alex never truly lost his core self--no matter what happened to his outside or any temporary insanity he underwent. I didn’t even recognize Tally inside or out by the end of SPECIALS. Very, VERY sad about Simon. LOVE Zee!! LOVED when Alex went home!! Not sure about all the crazy draining of blood and that Alex’s fate at the end was at all realistic, given everything that had happened physically, but it was a good and satisfying ending for me! Much better than I expected it would all turn out when I started this book! Yeah!!!

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Execution.