J's Reviews > Keturah and Lord Death

Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt

F_50x66
Aug 11, 11

Three is actually a fairly generous rating. If I could give 2.75 I would. While I quite thoroughly enjoyed the setting of this story, the characters, the flow of the writing, and just the overall "feel" of the book, the writing could use some attentions. At the end it mentions the first chapter of the book was written slapdash for an English class. And glory be, you can tell! Why on earth would one not rework it slightly when you go back much later to actually write the story? And the plot is far from compelling. I've read other, much similar books such as "Shadow Spinner" or any retellings of Scheherazade that are far better done overall. I felt like I had really wasted my time on this and really, if further care had been indulged in the the writing, it could have seen the light. There's potential there and the writing isn't half bad. It just felt very rushed overall. I will add the disclaimer that this was read for my school's book club and not by my own choosing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keturah and Lord Death.