Jennifer Berry's Reviews > Love Walked In

Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos

Apr 14, 08

Read in April, 2008

** spoiler alert ** When I picked up this book, I was mesmerized by De Los Santos' electrifying prose and her slick references to classic film. I read the first 100 pages in one fell swoop, savoring every word. And then the two main characters, 11-year-old Clare and 31-year-old Cornelia, meet, and everthing falls apart.

In the last two-thirds of this book, De Los Santos ties up all of the complications she so beautifully crafted with a neat little bow. Realize that you don't really like your boyfriend? She kills him off. Need another man for Cornelia to fall in love with? In he walks. Need a house for Cornelia and Clare to live in? Enter dead neighbor who leaves a house to Cornelia in her will. Are you kidding?

As much as I prized De Los Santos' writing style, I just could not enjoy this book. Everything was too simple and too easy. Plus, the peripheral characters are not well developed, and I really could not stand Cornelia's best friend, Linny, an irritating Dolly Parton-on-speed.

De Los Santos is a poet, and I imagine her poetry is really wonderful. But as for her first novel, it just doesn't cut it. And that title! Ick.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Walked In.