Mark's Reviews > Life & Laughing: My Story

Life & Laughing by Michael McIntyre

Aug 11, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, autobiographies, gifts

This was a really good book and also very interestng. It wasn't quite the laugh out loud read that Peter Kay's books were but it still had some very funny moments. Michael McIntyre's stories of when he was growing up were quite funny and it was interesting to read about his early days in stand up and how he eventually made it in the mainstream. I also liked reading about the behind the scenes to stand up comedy such as the dressing room banter (or lack of it) and just how hard a line of buisness it is to be succesful in. There were times when McIntyre was talking about his childhood where he tried to come across (as a lot of people do in their autobiographies) as something of a rags to riches tail but then in the same chapter would explain how after his parents split up they sold their house to the Osbourne's and that his parents each bought a BMW S series to compete witgh each other. Later on though you could tell that Michael was beeing geniune when talking about his hardships after getting married and having a child whilst trying to become a professional comic and this part of his story had more depth to it as you could tell it was the truth. Not as funny a book as I'd hoped but alot more interesting and insightful than I thought it'd be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life & Laughing.