Fred's Reviews > Between

Oct 18, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Fred by: Lauren
Read from August 12 to 16, 2011

This is an intense book that elicits deep emotions of the heartache kind. It's a story of redemption in the afterlife of a seemingly superficial rich girl, Liz, who wakes up during the night of her 18th birthday to find her now lifeless body floating in the water near her family's boat, where she'd been partying with her friends and step-sister. She's not alone in this weird between state, though, there's another dead boy from her school, Alex, who seems to be some sort of guide for her, although he clearly is not fond of her or her friends. Liz's quest to find out what happened, to her and to Alex, is a wide ranging exploration of their two lives, how they came to be the way they were in life and now in death, and just what happened to bring them together.

This is a mix of social drama, mystery, romance (a little, but very touching, her boyfriend Richie is an interesting non-pigeonholeable character) and family issues. It moves between the past and the present as Liz and Alex attempt to put together the jigsaw pieces of the past to understand and move past what happened to them. Liz is a great character, dimensional and real, and her story is such a sad one that your heart really does ache for her, while still being somewhat repelled by her mean and reckless actions in the past. The supporting characters become real enough that you care about them, too. This is a long book, and it's very immersive, I found myself compelled to keep going, even - or especially - after the questions began to be clear to everyone but those caught up in them. Another element I like was the way the author worked in references to literary works which foreshadowed, illuminated or ironically commented on the action. Even though this is a sad book, it's not depressing or grim, and ultimately it's uplifting and very satisfying. Although I really loved Before I Fall, and there are obvious similarities, this has a very different feel, much more narrative-y and dense with details and subplots. Both are great, and on my all time best list, but they don't cancel or compete with each other.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between.

Paula  Phillips I loved this book too Fred . BTW Did you know that they are making Before I fall into a movie :)

Fred Paula wrote: "I loved this book too Fred . BTW Did you know that they are making Before I fall into a movie :)"

I didn't know that, Paula, thanks! I honestly liked it a lot better than Delirium, just my taste for contemp, I guess, but thought it was sweeter and more poetic. Hard to see how the movie will work? Like Groundhog Day?

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza Good review, Fred! Sounds interesting. I liked Before I Fall, even though I couldn't stand the main characters. I might have to check this one out. :0)

Fred Rebecca wrote: "Good review, Fred! Sounds interesting. I liked Before I Fall, even though I couldn't stand the main characters. I might have to check this one out. :0)"

It's good Rebecca, but this girl starts out a little hard to like as well. Really well done though, I think you'll enjoy it!

Paula  Phillips I agree , I liked it more than Delirium as well . Though it was almost like two different genres as Delirium was Dystopian. Have you read You Against Me by Jenny Downham ? If not you will love that book and yeah It will be like a groundhog day type movie.

Fred I haven't read that one yet, it looks awfully gutwrenchy. I do trust you, though, Paula, will check it out, thanks!

Paula  Phillips It was gut-wrenching but really good. Her other book Before I Die has been made into a movie as well starring Dakota Fanning.

Fred Hmmm, will def have to check that one out, too, thanks Paula! I am more of a contemp fan than a dystoper, so they sound good!

message 9: by Joanna (new) - added it

Joanna This was on sale today so I picked it up after reading your review :)

message 10: by Fred (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fred Joanna wrote: "This was on sale today so I picked it up after reading your review :)"

Hope you enjoy it, Joanna, thanks for letting me know!