Brenna's Reviews > A Million Suns

A Million Suns by Beth Revis

Jan 12, 2012

bookshelves: arc, penguin, 2012, best-of-2012, highly-anticipated-2012
Read from September 11 to 16, 2011

If you didn't already know that Beth Revis is a genius, you should realize this after reading A Million Suns. I'm always worried with sequels that they won't live up to the crazy expectations I have for them, since I loved the first book so much. But in my (not so humble) opinion, AMS is better than Across the Universe... SO MUCH BETTER. Every little thing that left me feeling unsatisfied with in AtU is dealt with in AMS. LOVED IT.

These characters have been put in near impossible situations, where they're forced to make life altering choices. It isn't easy, and there's very little wiggle room. And you keep asking yourself "can they do this? I can't possible see a way out of this mess!" Maybe there is, and maybe there isn't. Even after reading the book, I'm not so sure myself. Nothing's easy or simple, and morality (like many real life situations) isn't black and white, but rather varying shades of grey.

I know some reviews of AtU mentioned that the chemistry between Elder and Amy really wasn't "there". Well, it's here and it's arrived now. And it's hot (but still, very much appropriate for their age and the age of targeted readers). They both really bloom as characters and individuals, but as friends as well. One thing I really loved is that similar to Ally Condie's Crossed (as mentioned in my review of it), there is the question of how important it is to allow a choice in love. Exactly what does love have to do with choice? Both books come to similar conclusions, but I think it's a fascinating story they tell as they explore this. It really made me wonder whether I truly believed that myself.

And for Harley fans, I can promise you that he's involved in his own way. I was so happy to see this, because he's such an incredible character and definitely a fan favourite.

What we're left with is a heart pounding novel, and I think Revis is absolutely brilly. She actually makes you think and question what you've been presented with as "fact"- both in her books, and in real life as well. One of my favourite things about this series are the number of questions she raises about political theory (intentionally or not), but seeing as political science is my speciality, it's something that I found to be highly recognizable in her books. I think this could be a fantastic discussion starter for teens and adults alike. Revis demonstrates a depth of insight that I find to be rather uncommon among YA books, which I think is going to make Across the Universe appeal to a wider audience as a whole. It isn't just for teens, but adults as well because she has so much to say about human nature and society as a whole. But most importantly, Revis keeps it interesting. There's nothing boring about this one.

I am going to warn you however, that reading this book is going to leave you BEGGING for more. Literally begging.

A special thank you to Penguin Canada for providing me with an ARC, no other compensation received!

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Million Suns.