Regina's Reviews > Batwoman: Elegy

Batwoman by Greg Rucka

3922010
Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: dads-and-daughters, girl-power, graphic-novels, lgbt, series-and-sequels-adult, topics-to-discuss
Read on December 28, 2011

Totally and unexpectedly awesome.
I have to say that the actual Gotham villain plot was not the greatest. Kate Kane aka Batwoman battles against Alice, new leader of the Religion of Crime and in my opinion a poorly constructed mash-up of original Gotham super-villains The Mad Hatter, The Joker, and The Riddler.

Beyond the wonky "ooh we're out to get Gotham" plot, the backstory of how Kate becomes the Batwoman was amazing. "Separated" from of the military after a personal Don't Ask Don't Tell event, Kate finds herself lost and seeking a way to still serve when a chance encounter with the BatMAN tells her just what to do next. When her father discovers her vigilantism and that she won't quit, he decides to help her, even in developing the suit and colors. The red and black suit becomes just as feared in Gotham as the black and gold. And with good reason.

I'm a fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batwoman.

12/28/2011 page 8
5.0% "Know what I love already? The fact that the intro is done by Rachel Maddow...and secondly that Batwoman is wearing COMBAT BOOTS not stilettos...let's get to kicking butt instead of showing it."