Stef's Reviews > The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 2: The Last Coyote / Trunk Music / Angels Flight

The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 2 by Michael Connelly

** spoiler alert **

The Last Coyote — 4 stars

This book is pretty standard Michael Connelly: gritty and dark, with well developed characters and an intriguing whodunit. I really like how Connelly's absolutely fearless with he comes to his regular supporting characters - he doesn't hesitate to turn them into murderers or kill them off, and he does so without breaking a sweat. I applaud his courage.

The Last Coyote is part cold case, part therapy session. The latter managed to not bore me too much, and the former was a really interesting read, because I'd been waiting for Harry Bosch to finally go after his mother's killer; at first I was kind of disappointed by how neatly everything was wrapped up, having expected the usual plot twist that would leave me giggling with glee, but I figured that with twenty-ish pages to go, that wasn't very likely to happen. But then it did. And that is why I love Michael Connelly. It never gets old.

The one gripe I might have about the book is Jasmine; I don't really understand how she fits into the bigger picture. Maybe it's just because I liked Sylvia Moore and was hoping she'd hang around for a while.

Trunk Music — 3 stars

I have to admit that this book didn't suck me in quite the way Connelly's other books have. I don't quite know why, but perhaps I'm simply OD'ing on Harry Bosch and am close to having had my fill?

There's no real twist ending in this book, which kind of made me feel cheated. It was rather obvious whodunit once Powers happened to drop into the café/restaurant meeting, and that was with one hundred pages left of the book to go! The jail break kind of made up for it, but still, probably the least exciting book I've read so far in this series.

Still good, but pretty run-of-the-mill.

Angels Flight — 5 stars

Angels Flight is a total page turner. It's pretty much all of my favorite things rolled into one: murder, lawyers, court cases, the FBI, revenge, the '90s (more on that later), innocent people trying to clear their names, and, of course, that surprise twist in the end that I never see coming (only here I kind of did, at least 50% of it).

I've mentioned it before, but I'll say it again: I really like how Connelly handles his reoccurring characters. In this book he brings Chastain to the forefront of the investigation (even if this of course means the end of Chastain), fleshing him out and kind of making him more than That Evil IAD Guy. Connelly also brings back Roy Lindell from Trunk Music, one of the more interesting characters in this series so far, which pleases me immensely.

And then, of course, there's Harry, who's becoming strangely endearing due to his failed attempts at love. I usually get bored by MCs who are forever hooking up with the female character of the week, but Connelly manages to convince me that Harry Bosch is different, that he's actually looking for The One, and probably would have found it already had he not been so utterly crap at searching for anything other than clues at a murder scene. I've grown to really like Harry; I sympathize with him, and I wish him well, because somewhere along the line Connelly's made me believe that while Harry really might be rather short and gruff and mustachioed, he's also a total teddy bear on the inside. But I digress.

Of course, one of the greatest things about these books are that they're a really fun ride through the magical '90s. Over the course of the series "cassette tapes" become "compact discs" which become "CDs"; Harry goes from being totally phoneless to owning a "portable phone" which is then upgraded to a "cellular phone" (though he still keeps it in his briefcase); Eleanor decides to leave her husband when she realizes she doesn't love him as much as Rose loved Jack in Titanic; one minute computers are hug IBM boxes kept in special rooms and typewriters are the detectives' tool of choice, and the next thing you know there are laptops everywhere; and then of course there are the Zip drives and CD-ROMs and the Internet with all its hyperlinks and servers and websites - now fully explained thanks to that hot new recruit from Computer Fraud!

I am amused and will definitely read on, even though the next book will, sadly, drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 2.

08/12/2011 page 279