Julie's Reviews > The Hostile Hospital

The Hostile Hospital by Lemony Snicket

Aug 26, 2011

liked it

I've thought for a long time that this was one of my more favorite books in the series, but I didn't really feel that way this time. It's still good and has its great moments, but it didn't quite reach the level of some of the others. I think one of my main complaints was how in this book a lot of things that should take only a few minutes are drawn out to these lengthy ordeals. It's a trait of these books for stuff to be accomplished by rather unorthodox and somewhat time-consuming means, but in this one the pressure and suspense suffer from things taking too long. How long does it take, really, to find a particular file cabinet when they are in alphabetical order? Is it *really* necessary to open a can of alphabet soup, pick out each relevant letter (or a suitable substitute) and then use the letters to decipher an anagram? I expect quirk from these books, but I felt like M. Snicket was artificially (and unnecessarily) drawing out the story. But all this aside, I do really enjoy Esme's literal stiletto heels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hostile Hospital.