Pat Loughery's Reviews > Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War

2319365
Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: novel, historical-fiction
Read from March 25 to 28, 2012

I just found my favorite book of 2012.

In high school and a few years after, I devoured everything I could about the Vietnam era - politics, peace movement, protesters, military women and men. I don't recall reading anything (except perhaps for Chickenhawk) which was as engaging as Matterhorn is. And Matterhorn is told much more carefully and deeply than anything I've read on that subject.

Marlantes writes his novel as an insider. It's painfully clear that the stories he tells are not fiction, only novelized. He tackles deep issues - race, class, life and death, the folly of war and the deep heroism of warriors.

This one will stay with me for a very long time. I recommend it highly to anybody who loves historical fiction, a good novel, or stories of the heights and depths of humanity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matterhorn.

03/25/2012 page 13
03/25/2012 page 41
6.0% "Best chapter 1 that I've read in a long, long time. This is going to be a powerful book."
03/27/2012 page 197
31.0% "I so love this book. It's very well written and is clearly the work of somebody who was there, and who has thought carefully about the complex stories involved."
03/27/2012 page 249
39.0% "So now I'm finding a few minutes here, a few minutes there to sneak time to read more."
show 3 hidden updates…