Greg Cohoon's Reviews > Read This Before Our Next Meeting: The Modern Meeting Standard

Read This Before Our Next Meeting by Al Pittampalli

Aug 11, 2011

bookshelves: kindle, career
Read from August 06 to 11, 2011 — I own a copy

This was a quick read, and written from an interesting perspective. The author is trying to get the point across that meetings are generally a waste of time and effort. Instead, he advocates a "modern meeting" where the purpose of the meeting is to make decisions and act on them. The modern meeting is focused, only includes people who have a stake in the decision, and requires participants to be prepared. The thing that made the perspective of this book interesting to me is that it reads as if it were handed to me by someone at my company. The author talks about "our organization," and how we need to fix things. It's pretty subtle at first, but soon enough I realized what was going on. It's a nice touch.

Will my company reach a culture that supports the Modern Meeting? *shrug* I don't know. But I do know that I will be applying some of the suggestions in my daily work flow. One of the critical suggestions is to not have a meeting when a conversation will suffice. I like that -- conversations are active and not nearly as disruptive to my schedule as meetings are.

Here's a choice quote from the book:
I used to come to work with a promise to myself, a commitment to do work that matters. But having been unsuccessful in fulfilling that promise in the short windows between meetings, I now come into work with the hope of surviving the day.

Should you read this book? If you're part of a company that has lots of meetings, especially ones that appear pointless, then it's worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Read This Before Our Next Meeting.