Jenn's Reviews > Changing the Game

Changing the Game by Jaci Burton

Aug 11, 11

Read in July, 2011 — I own a copy

I really enjoyed reading the first book in this series, and was highly anticipating the next book, dealing with Mick's brother Gavin and sports agent Elizabeth (Liz). When it came up on NetGalley, I was very excited to grab it! However, while it was definitely a great read, I'm not sure I can say that it's topped book #1.

Gavin is Mick's brother and an exceptional baseball player. Liz is his agent, and the former agent to brother Mick (she lost the position when she messed around with Mick's relationship with Tara). I have to say, the Mick I know and love from Book #1 was missing here - this Mick was a first class A-hole, and I really didn't' like him all that much. That detracted from the story for me, as I spent more time than I should have wondering why Mick couldn't pull his head out of his arse, even though his mother, brother and wife had obviously forgiven Liz. However, Gavin and Liz were wonderful h/hs, well thought out and more than the sum of their parts from Book #1 for sure.

This is, if it's possible, an even hotter book than #1 - Gavin and Liz don't hide their attraction, and spend good portions of the book naked and active with each other - no complaints, but you start to wonder after a while how much of their attraction for each other is really physical.

What makes this book a sell for me though, is the development of the characters. Once again, Burton has created characters with flaws, but also characters who grow throughout the story. She does not try to make you think that the magic hoo-hoo and mighty wang (TM - SBTB) will solve every problem, but rather that the character's dedication to each other makes them want to be better people. I also loved that the female friends were realistic and not caricatures (ex: the wives of the players). They were witty and had their own personalities, to the point where you want to kick back and have martinis with them too.

I liked the development of the sister in this book, and I'm actually looking forward to Ty and Jenna's story, even though that will mean the end of the series (sob).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changing the Game.