·Karen·'s Reviews > Franny and Zooey

Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

Oct 20, 12

bookshelves: mttbr-2012
Read from March 04 to 05, 2012

"Well you are stupid Mum, you are one of the most stupid people I know, really what were you thinking when you decided to even read this for God's sake." Lights another cigarette. "I mean to say, for God's sake, it's full of this kind of histrionic dialogue with incessant overuse of italics, and the people in it don't so much speak as hold forth as if they were on the stage somewhere for God's sake, and they just go on and on about Jesus and chakras and anahata and all this goddam mystical stuff, well surely Mother you should have realised that you wouldn't really enjoy it all that much, I mean it's not you is it? Mysticism and religion and stuff, you never did get that did you, so why did you read it for chrissake?"

Mother also lights a cigarette. Franny has one too, and Zooey, and Bloomberg, the cat, doesn't want to feel left out so has a cigar too.

"Also, for God's sake, you could die of secondary smoke poisoning just reading this, and you know how much you hate cigarette smoke."

"But I'm - I don't know - I'm tired Zooey. I'm just exhausted, frankly."

Yup, me too, Fran, me too.
54 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Franny and Zooey.

message 1: by Hayes (new)

Hayes I had to read this in school and really didn't like it, or any of the other Salinger we had to read that year. We read them ALL!

·Karen· Although I find them exhausting, I did actually quite like those very distinctive voices. Really.

message 3: by Hayes (new)

Hayes You didn't!

I just don't get Salinger.

·Karen· Ah well, I daresay he'll get over it.

Teresa Amusing review, Karen! I have to say I don't really get the appeal of Salinger either, though I've tried him several times -- all before GR, which is why I've given him 3 stars, my default when I don't remember if something should be a 2 or 3.

·Karen· Thanks, T & H!

message 7: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Ha, love it! I'm reading his Nine Stories now and didn't realize that Bananafish is centered around this same family. Think I'm going to have to give Fanny and Zooey a try as I don't seem to remember reading this in school.

Petra X I love your review but I didn't love the book.

message 9: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala Perfect parody, Karen. I thought I really was listening to Franny for a minute, or was it Zooey? I read this pre goodreads so I'm a little hazy about the details but I do know that it worked better for me than Catcher in the Rye. I intended to read more about the Glass family but never have. I think you have to be in the right mood.
I must have missed this review when you originally posted it.

·Karen· Fionnuala wrote: "I must have missed this review when you originally posted it. "

Should I own up to a bit of unashamed vote-whoring or should I maintain that I got a notification that someone 'liked' this, went back to see what I'd written (the joys of failing memory), found a typo and corrected it: at which point goodreads thought I'd done a review and posted it on the update feed. Dontcha just love that polite little note that thanks you for reviewing tada tada....

message 11: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala You know what? There aren't nearly enough intriguing reviews appearing on my home page these days so I've no objection to getting some reheated gourmet bookbites from time to time. If you have more such, update away.....

message 12: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell I love Salinger, but this is hilarious.

message 13: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Fantastic.

Cheryl Ha! Can I just say that I loved your review?! It made me laugh!!!

·Karen· Thanks Cheryl, you can say things like that at any time.