Amber's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: dystopia, romance, ya, forbidden, own, reread-worthy, i-cried
Read from August 18 to 20, 2011

This book gave me such a high after I turned the last pages. I LOVE books like that, books that make you feel something once you set it down. As the description reads, Lena lives in a world where love is a disease and the government has found a cure to rid the mind of all emotions, love, hatred, fear, pain, nothing.

What I love about this book is that it builds. Lena's background and idea's build. Her friendship with Hana builds and her relationship with Alex builds. Oliver slowly introduces her characters which I love. It seems like nowadays authors will give a character a name and expect the readers to love him or her from the getgo. Not Oliver. She lets the love blossom and then she makes it something extraordinary with the very last page.

Oliver also makes you think with this novel. I thought a million times throughout my read how often I use and experience the word love. The idea that is so forbidden in her world made me fall deeper and deeper into the book.

What I also love is that Ms. Oliver has made this world completely hers down to the very last detail. She tweaks religion and adds nursery rhymes to make this world seem real. Which I think is just beautiful.

The only negative piece I would have to say is that she does get a bit wordy in her descriptions. I'm happy that she took the time to creatively explain how the sea salt clung to Lena's hair, but there were some instances where I felt like she could have done without 5 or so words.

I can't wait until the sequel comes out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

Quotes Amber Liked

Lauren Oliver
“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it”
Lauren Oliver, Delirium

08/19/2011 page 9
08/20/2011 page 241
55.0% "although Oliver sometimes makes things a little too wordy, I'm lovin' it!" 2 comments
08/20/2011 page 332
75.0% "Hot damn, I just might finish this book tonight."
show 2 hidden updates…