Jeremiah Depta's Reviews > The Guns of the South

The Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove

Aug 11, 11

This book belongs in my top ten collection. Although this book was sometimes very dry, and very difficult to get through, I fount it to be a very honest portrayal of an alternative history. I was very pleased to see that the Union Army and its leaders were not portrayed as a bunch of saviors to the African American people, and was equally glad to see that the Confederates were not portrayed as a bunch of racist Neanderthals, although, the issues regarding racism and its effects on the war and American culture were very present and accurately portrayed. The conflicts, both military and social, are very well depicted . The facts, and even the words that the characters used, were all historically accurate. I personally found Lee’s use of the word “practicable” struck a cord with me, as would this entire novel would with anyone who knows anything about the Civil War. It is very well researched. Congratulations to Turtledove!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guns of the South.