Jessica's Reviews > The Children on the Top Floor

The Children on the Top Floor by Noel Streatfeild

202724
Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: childhoodfavorites, kidlit

This was my favorite of all Streatfeild's books! A beloved British TV star says he envies his viewers hearing the patter of little feet coming down the stairs on Christmas morning, and wakes the next day (Christmas morning, in fact) to find not one, but FOUR babies on his doorstep. He decides to keep them, mostly as a publicity move, and the children spend most of their days in the top floor nursery of his posh house. Of course, being famous, they are much in demand for commercials and tv guest spots. But as the children get older, their different looks and personalities start to take them in different directions. That's what I've always loved about Streatfeild's books: she always starts out with a family all together, taking tennis lessons, or a pair of friends bonding over figure skating, but then her characters start to find out who they really are, and explore what they really want in life. I just truly adore this book, and I can't think of how many times I've read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children on the Top Floor.