Airiz C's Reviews > Lucifer, Vol. 9: Crux

Lucifer, Vol. 9 by Mike Carey

The world is ending, and unlike the scenes you often see in doomsday flicks, there are no episodes of the earth cracking, fireballs raining down on cities, or skyscrapers collapsing on screaming humans. Not yet, at least. In the Lucifer series, it goes from the inside out: “The hands of the artists lose their cunning, the minds of musicians their sweet calculus. And emotion dies too—lover looks at lover, parent at child, feeling nothing save the dead grey void of anomie. The world loses its savor, the senses dull. Sweet, sour, bitter, salt, all bleed into one nothingness. In sheer despair of feeling anything at all, people begin to hurt themselves…” Beautifully tragic, indeed.

The Divine Word glues every matter together, and its vanishing equates to the corroding of everything it once held…

Crux, the ninth volume of the Morningstar’s history after he quits reigning in Hell, is not titled as such for nothing. The story is clearly at its peak. Christopher Rudd, once a damned human soul that rose as the Duke of Gly in Effrul, now emerges as the ruler of the infernal realm after preaching about salvation among the demons and the damned. Lilith betrays Mazikeen and collects all of the Lilim to launch a final assault on Heaven and the Garden that is denied of them; Elaine Belloc practices her demiurgic power by molding another Creation; and Jill Presto is finally giving birth to the Basanos’ child.

I liked this volume a lot. It is action-packed, moving, and thought-provoking for the most part. What I’m enamored of the most is the underlying depth of the different philosophy and wisdom that every character gives off, closely seconded by the poetic quality of Carey’s writing. If I were to guess, I’ll say this is just the beginning of the climax, because by now I know how a habit of Carey it is to keep lots of exciting things up his sleeve. I’m expecting him to release these things nonchalantly one by one in every issue, and its effects would be bomb-like in comparison. :D

The art is amazing as well, I’m loving how everything—every character— is given the ample amount of attention they deserve. All in all, this is on par with the previous volume The Wolf Beneath the Tree. Four stars for a great read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucifer, Vol. 9.