Anthony's Reviews > Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning

Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg

May 15, 2008

bookshelves: politics-political-thought, favorites, history, non-fiction
Recommended for: Anyone who EVER plans to vote, or presumes to voice an opinion on current political events.
Read in April, 2008

This book is brilliant. It is a look at many aspects of U.S. and World history you THOUGHT you knew. You may be surprised. You will certainly be educated. This isn’t a book you read casually. You will find yourself underlining, cross-referencing, and annotating this book as you go. I was frequently cross-referencing other sources, both for varying perspectives, and to review people and events for which the author presumed background knowledge. Even so, I did not find the process cumbersome or tedious. You may actually find yourself reading late into the night. The insights and revelations just keep coming. You will see correlations with historical events and current political trends and attitudes that will keep you awake at night. No one should be allowed to register to vote in any election until they have read this book.

Addendum, 05/15/08;

I've been going back through this book again, reviewing my notes and highlights (I know, I'm neurotic...). And, at the risk of being accused of engaging in hyperbole, I have to say that Jonah Goldberg is a genius, and this is one of the most important books I have ever read. Many books are llike popping Junior Mints and swigging Diet Coke at the movie, compared to Goldberg’s candle lit gourmet meal, served in an elegant private suite with a view of the ocean and a warm fire, with your one true love and a live string quartet providing ambiance, where course after course inexplicably exceeds the last and you never feel too full. When I first read the book, I was a little impatient to get to current issues as the author was establishing historical perspective, Mussolini, Stalin, Hitler, in the first chapters. However, as he continues to make his case, and to relate more contemporary events and issues with these historical precedents, the staggering realities just jump off page after page, grab you by the collar, and shout, “do you not see what this is and where it’s going?!” Since reading this book I can’t watch the news, read the paper, or listen to political commentary without seeing parallels with the socialist and/or fascist agenda so clearly illuminated in it’s pages. Please, please, please read this book. It will change your understanding of our world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liberal Fascism.

Quotes Anthony Liked

Jonah Goldberg
“America's political system used to be about the pursuit of happiness. Now More and more of us want to stop chasing it and have it delivered.”
Jonah Goldberg, Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning

Jonah Goldberg
“If there is ever a fascist takeover in America, it will come not in the form of storm troopers kicking down doors but with lawyers and social workers saying. "I'm from the government and I'm here to help.”

message 1: by Ang (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ang are you liking this as much as glenn? I am only in the first chapt.

Anthony Love the book. VERY educational. This is one you don't just READ, you really have to settle in ad STUDY it. I find myself reading at my computer so I can cross-reference many of the things he talks about. My world history is a little weak and I have to look up many refernces and events that the author assumus you already have a working knowledge of, but the whole process is very illuminating.

message 3: by Ang (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ang You are not kidding about being surprised about what I THOUGHT I knew. Very educational. However I must say that since I find reading time in the car waiting for kids while @ my taxi job and short intervals here and there- I have felt a bit over my head. With out the time to dig into to more back ground on people and times he mentions, I have come to the conclusion that I would enjoy a class taught by this guy. I could totally get into a term of just hearing this guy teach me all this in person, without my duties like dinner, laundry, bathrooms to clean, work, church callings..... & phone to worry about during class time. Since I don't really want to go back to college for a grade, I would just consider myself a good candidate to be a responsible voter! We could register for this class together, think we could Den and SueAnn to join us?

Anthony I've been going back through this book again, reviewing my notes and highlights (I know, I'm neurotic...). And, at the risk of being accused of engaging in hyperbole, I have to say that Jonah Goldberg is a genius, and this is one of the most important books I have ever read. While I enjoyed Glenn’s book, it was like popping Junior Mints and swigging Diet Coke at the movie, compared to Goldberg’s candle lit gourmet meal, served in an elegant private suite with a view of the ocean and a warm fire, with your one true love and a live string quartet providing ambiance, where course after course inexplicably exceeds the last and you never feel too full. When I first read the book, I was a little impatient to get to current issues as the author was establishing historical perspective, Mussolini, Stalin, Hitler, in the first chapters. However, as he continues to make his case, and to relate more contemporary events and issues with these historical precedents, the staggering realities just jump off page after page, grab you by the collar, and shout, “do you not see what this is and where it’s going?!” Since reading this book I can’t watch the news, read the paper, or listen to political commentary without seeing parallels with the socialist and/or fascist agenda so clearly illuminated in it’s pages. I hope I haven’t given the book a build up that it can’t possibly hope to live up to, but keep reading Ange, I think you’ll see what I mean.

Anthony Ange, I think I read your comments out of order. For some reason I thought the question of liking it as much as An Inconvenient Book was your last post, hence my response. Anyway, I understand it could be a difficult book to digest in drips and drabs while you run the ‘shuttle’. A course taught by Goldberg would be amazing wouldn’t it? :)

message 6: by Ang (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ang I am glad to hear that after this part I am currently reading (the historical perspective) the books picks up. I love history and I know that this back ground is important- however I totally understand what you mean when you wrote "I was a little impatient to get to current issues". That is were I stand right now. I will continue to plug along.
After hearing portions of Glen's last hour today (& of course Rush daily) about Obama (and the other do-gooders) along w/ what I have read .... I just can't believe what is going on while everyone "sleeps". It seems like we are living during one of those strange Star Trek episodes that you just know could n e v e r r e a l l y happen, because people are too smart for that to go on and not do something to protect yourself, family and country!
So just who does one vote for when the voting card has the candidates we have to choose from! Can I just say .... OH MY HELL!

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven Hummer Bro. Davis I finally found that iTunes added the audiobook "Liberal Facism"
I listened to a preview and the reader is very BAD and the reading level is way too advanced for me.
I'm sure there is importaint information in the book and I really want to understand it but again it's too advanced. Oh well there is Eragon book 3 to look forward to on September 20th :)
Estabon

Anthony Yea Steven, I think this would be a tough one for an audio book. There is just so much information. I had to read, and re-read, and cross reference, and look up other references to really get it all. It's rather like a complex political history textbook. There may come a time down the road when you have a greater depth of knowledge of the topics in the book and could enjoy a listen, but you probably shouldn't beat yourself up with it now. I'm afraid it would just frustrate you.