Elizabeth's Reviews > Birds of a Feather

Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear

Aug 11, 11

Read from August 01 to 10, 2011

I really grew tired of the plot device whereby the author hid essential information from the reader that Maisie had in order to keep me from figuring out the mystery. "Maisie sat down with Mr Jones and began to ask the questions that had been forming since she'd met with Mr Smith. ... When she left the office an hour later, the pieces were finally starting to fall into place." That's just a paraphrase, but it happened over and over. We are never privy to her thought processes, the identification of items she finds at the the crime scene, the reasoning for her hunch that so-and-so is lying, etc. But instead of having that all tumble in at the end deus-ex-machina style, which I don't like either, we get "teased" throughout the book: "Maisie's hand closed around something small under the cushion, but she slipped it quickly into her handkerchief." I guess the "mystery" couldn't hold up to the reader's scrutiny: just as in the first book, if I'd learned of the clues at the same time as Maisie, I could have solved the mystery probably a third of the way through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birds of a Feather.