Helen's Reviews > Sabriel

Sabriel by Garth Nix

May 16, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, adventure
Read in May, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Sabriel;' couldn't put it down. The characters felt fresh and compelling as well as the world itself. I loved Nix's writing style and way of describing events just so. Sabriel was so relatable, and Mogget was fascinating. The final scene was so well done, dramatic, satisfyingly horrific and clever; I've been so disappointed with big build-ups that fizzle out at the last minute. This was not one of those cases by far. The weapons and 'technology' seemed so original (bells for controlling and communicating with the Dead, the Mogget-monster as a familiar, the Paperwing...). I really enjoyed the contrast between the sort of turn-of-the-century Ancelstierre and the medieval Old Kingdom. The creatures were all vividly described as well. This is one of those books I wanted to be sure to read carefully so as to allow the picture the author painted to fully form in my mind's eye (if that makes any sense). Would re-read for sure.

As with any book I enjoy, I was left wanting more (at least Touchstone's real name...)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sabriel.

05/15/2009 page 276
56.21% "Really enjoying it, though I am wondering about Mogget. I wasn't read for him to go..."

Kendrawesome YESSS zombies and necromancers and evil cats! Hopefully you won't be disappointed!

Helen I hope so too! So far it's pretty compelling. Who doesn't love an evil cat named Mogget?

Kendrawesome This is one book I'd love to see turned into a film. And then cry about when it sucked.

Helen hahaha too true. It's such a quick read too. Last night I realized I was already half-way through and I've only been reading since Sunday night.

Kendrawesome GLAD YOU LIKED IT the next books can't quite compare, but they're still very good.

Helen Yeah, I was meaning to ask you about the other books. I'll probably check them out at some point...