Rosa's Reviews > Smile

1913711
Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011, graphic-novels, tween, biography-memoir
Read on August 09, 2011

I have always wanted to read this. Just before it came out I got a chance to meet Raina Telgemeier in my teen lit class and she was incredibly nice. She mentioned that this book was coming out soon and gave a brief overview of the plot and I had to smile myself because when I was 9 I fell on my face and cracked my front tooth in half and got a piece of it stuck in my lower lip, so I could totally relate!

One night when Raina was 11 she fell running into the house and her two front teeth eventually fused to her jaw bone and stopped growing due to the incident. The book follows the process of Raina's dental work and how she eventually gets her teeth fixed and her middle school and early high school years. Raina gets crushes on boys and finally finds friends that are right for her.

I love Raina's art style because it just fits the book so well. It has a happy bubbly feel that makes you think about how middle school girls tend to write, with bubbly letters and actual bubbles or hearts over the i's. It's bright, colorful and friendly and feels perfect for a tween and the tone of the book. Smile is extremely is easy to relate to. Everyone makes mistakes with who they crush on, how they treat their crushes and so on. Everyone also changes and sometimes it's hard to admit that you or your friends have changed so much that you no longer have as much in common with them as you used to. That's kind of why I also think this works really well for older teens and adults. Raina's experiences feel pretty universal. If you didn't knock your teeth out like we both did, then you did something else embarrassing that you had to live with.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smile.