Alla's Reviews > Back Of Beyond

Back Of Beyond by C.J. Box

F 50x66
Aug 11, 11

“Back of beyond” by C.J. Box follows a suspended cop, Cody Hoyt, whose friend Hank is found murdered in a desolate cabin and whose laptop shows he’s been searching information about a Yellowstone Park Wilderness Adventure, led by a certain Jed McCarthy, before his murder. As if the case wasn’t personal enough, Cody finds out that the group is already leaving and his seventeen-year-old son Justin is on it. Strongly suspecting that Hank’s killer is there as well, Cody enlists the help of another Yellowstone Park outfitter in an attempt to locate the group. Meanwhile, his cop friend Larry is doing some research—finding out that several murders similar to Hank’s had been committed in the recent months. But when Cody’s hotel room is set on fire, he suspects that someone helping him actually wants to hurt him.

Box then jumps back and forth between Cody’s investigation, and Jay’s Yellowstone Park outing. As Cody predicted, things soon turn dark. While the initial group seems safe enough—three Wall Street buddies from New York, a middle-aged father with his two teenage daughters, an older couple trying to repair their marriage, a single woman looking to spice up her life, a middle-aged man who prefers to keep to himself, and of course Jay himself with his twenty-something country-girl assistant Dakota Hill—it soon becomes apparent that someone from their group is not all they seem.

Aside from the mystery itself—which is a creative whodunit—what I appreciated about this book is the detailed descriptions of mid-west America and wilderness in particular. Box does a good job of having the nature come alive—you no longer see things just from the view of the characters, but you feel as though you are there. While I was not familiar with the author, and the beginning was a bit slow, I was pleasantly surprised by the time I reached the middle of the book and found myself in the middle of a compelling story. Recommended suspense thriller.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back Of Beyond.