Emanuela ~plastic duck~'s Reviews > Hot Head

Hot Head by Damon Suede

Dec 04, 11

bookshelves: romance, contemporary, rainbow-gay, glbt
Read from December 01 to 03, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Not a review, just random notes.

There are two reviews I completely agree with at the same time: Lauradriana's and Kate Mc.'s.

The book ends on a high and happy note, and that's why I am really happy I read it and I can tell I really enjoyed it, but after 24 hours I can't shed the feeling that there was something not really substantial, there wasn't something that left a strong impression.

There are a few 5-stars moments that really moved me:

* Tommy is such a beautiful character. He is married, with children and has sex in dark alleys and I shouldn't like his cheating, but his desperation and self-loathing are the strongest emotions expressed in the book. His whole part of the story is the less romantic, but it appears so true, so real, and it makes you really care for him.

* Dante's basically running away from the set after the first video shooting. Griff can see how uncomfortable and almost disgusted his friend feels. Seeing that insecurity under all the bravado made me want to slap Dante for his careless choices and at the same time console him. This goes together with Griff's surrender and his watching the video again and again against his better judgment, as if he was stealing Dante's intimacy.

* Griff's admitting he has a drinking problem to the Russian. It's something he doesn't acknowledge until that moment, even if we see him facing the most difficult moments with a quite a lot of alcohol courage.

The problem was that Griff was so self-absorbed that he really was unaware of everything around him. He is a generous guy, devoted to Dante and Dante's family, but his emotions were so monotone that they became white noise in the end. So I guess he was maybe a bit anesthetized. It colored everything in gray instead of fiery red.

I must admit that I really appreciated not reading about their first video shooting and just reading about short moments of it in their words. The making of their second video was agonizing to read, because of the contrast between the falsity of the setting and the reality of their feelings. I couldn't stop thinking: if someone sees this, you're fucked. Please stop. On the other hand I hoped Griff would stop restraining himself and abandon himself to the moment for once. But at the same time I didn't want to see it, because I felt like a thief.

I also think there was the potential for a real disaster for Griff and Dante, but the characters were spared of it and they solved their problems almost easily and at the 75% of the book circa. There was still so much to read until the end, so I read the last part of the book in bliss, but maybe too relaxed. It was as if the part of the story with tension was that involving Tommy's story and the poor guy paid for everyone. I shared Griff's guilt. The possible problems that could arise for Dante and Griff were suggested, so I sort of wanted to see some of these addressed (like the chat with their chief, for example).

I felt that the author did a great job in depicting the firefighters not as hot, cardboard characters who are firefighters because they wear a uniform. I really felt the respect the author had for his protagonists. I also think the love for New York shines through the book. I liked the writing, its boldness, even if sometimes it's so distinctive that the repetition of some expressions could have turned into a drinking game. Even if I bitched a bit, it's a book I'd truly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hot Head.

12/01/2011
21.0% "There are some moments that are like cinema, others I wish G would stop commiserating, others I wish I could put some sense into D"
12/01/2011
30.0% "I thought G would resist a while longer."
show 1 hidden update…