Jenny's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

861924
Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011

Tina Fey is absolutely hilarious! She's also, in my opinion, one of the most authentic people out there, especially in celebrity-ville. Her memoir, Bossypants, touches on various moments of her life from her childhood, her time with the Second City Theater in Chicago, writing for Saturday Night Live, later acting on SNL (including those Sarah Palin sketches), creating and writing the show 30 Rock, (and the time she tried to and did get Oprah on the show), and being a mother.

If you already love Tina Fey and/or her show, 30 Rock, you'll for sure love her book. Her sarcastic and sometimes dry sense of humor permeates through Bossypants. And I loved it! I really wanted to post a picture on this post of me in my "I'm Lizzing" shirt (30 Rock reference) but I couldn't find it!! Blurgh!! (another reference). It's not uncommon in my household to hear the phrases, "I want to go to there" or "What the What?" So as you can tell, we're big fans.

The memoir doesn't really focus too much on any one topic. We get glimpses here and there into the different parts of her life and thoughts on those parts. I love that through her book I was able to get a look into her as the real person she is behind all the humor too -- someone any of us can relate to. Like the fact that she has cried in her office from being overwhelmed. Or reading the observations she's made about the treatment of women in her industry as opposed to men. Even her experiences and thoughts about playing Sarah Palin were interesting. Especially her reactions to the things that were said about that or the ways in which she wasn't quite accurately quoted in interviews. It was so funny to me to read about the family she came from, and the "strong father figure" and "fear thereof" that made her into the person she is today. And the thoughts of being a working mother. And on breastfeeding, even.

As I've probably established at this point, fans of Tina Fey will really appreciate this book. Those who aren't already fans might become fans. The only people I think might not appreciate this book are those who specifically don't like her sense of humor. Not that it overwhelms the book, but she did write it, after all. Otherwise, it's a quick and fun read that made me laugh and made me think.

Taken from my blog at www.takemeawayreading.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.