Ed's Reviews > Vygotsky and Cognitive Science: Language and the Unification of the Social and Computational Mind

Vygotsky and Cognitive Science by William Frawley

Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: biology, psychology, my-reviews

Frawley has taken on a very important task, trying to reconcile and unify cognitive science with a more sociocultural understanding of mind. I am very interested in this topic, so I was disappointed that I didn't get more out of the book than I did, even though I came to it with a doctorate in sociology and considerable background in science and philosophy. Ideally the book should have appealed to educated readers in many disciplines, but Frawley assumes a great deal of prior study in the philosophy of mind. Few without that specific background will be able to appreciate and evaluate his argument. Even within that field, some will probably be put off by his computationist position: "Consciousness emerges out of the purely computational manipulations of nonconscious processes." The project may be the "unification of the social and computational mind," but in the end, computation embraces all.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vygotsky and Cognitive Science.