oliviasbooks's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Apr 18, 12

bookshelves: witches-sorcerers-magic, e-version, read-2012, stays-with-me, historical-fantasy, adult-fiction, magical-realism
Recommended to oliviasbooks by: Amy Plum
Read from February 14 to April 18, 2012

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Quotes oliviasbooks Liked

Erin Morgenstern
“The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.”

Erin Morgenstern
“You think, as you walk away from Le Cirque des Rêves and into the creeping dawn, that you felt more awake within the confines of the circus.
You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream.”

Erin Morgenstern
“Someone needs to tell those tales. When the battles are fought and won and lost, when the pirates find their treasures and the dragons eat their foes for breakfast with a nice cup of Lapsang souchong, someone needs to tell their bits of overlapping narrative. There's magic in that. It's in the listener, and for each and every ear it will be different, and it will affect them in ways they can never predict. From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift. Your sister may be able to see the future, but you yourself can shape it, boy. Do not forget that... there are many kinds of magic, after all.”

Erin Morgenstern
“People see what they wish to see. And in most cases, what they are told that they see.”

Erin Morgenstern
“But I'm not special", Bailey says, "not the way they are. I'm not anyone important."
"I know", Celia said, "you are not destined or chosen. I wish I could tell you that you were if that would make it easier, but it is not true. You are in the right place, at the right time, and you care enough to do what needs to be done. Sometimes that is enough.”

Erin Morgenstern
“The most difficult thing to read is time. Maybe because it changes so many things.”

Erin Morgenstern
“This is, in part, why there is less magic in the world today. Magic is secret and secrets are magic, after all, and years upon years of teaching and sharing magic and worse. Writing it down in fancy books that get all dusty with age has lessened it, removed its power bit by bit.”

02/15/2012
02/19/2012
12.0% "Love it so far. For once I am relieved that a German edition of a book marketed as young adult in the original will be published for the adult readership. Not because of "improper" content (I don't really believe in that distinction), but because the narration has a grown-up feel that would look quite lost in a bookshop's kiddie corner." 1 comment
02/29/2012
21.0% "I've been tricked, you know? I really believed She was She. Now I am facing a mild case of love-triangle. But might that be an illusionn, too? Plus, I am scolding myself for not paying attention to the timeline, shich seems to be of the jumpy kind."
04/16/2012
64.0% "I savor it in bits and pieces and consume tons of books in between, but I am always happy to return to it." 1 comment
04/17/2012
93.0% "I love the book, but I stiil cannot stand Marco. He is so cold and calculating in everything he does."
show 10 hidden updates…

message 1: by Corinne (new) - added it

Corinne Mmmm, can't wait to see if you'll like it since I read some very bad reviews about it ;)

oliviasbooks Yes, but the average rating is very high. I believe it's a love-me-or-hate-me-book.

message 3: by oliviasbooks (last edited Mar 05, 2012 04:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

oliviasbooks ... and I have a very good feeling about it. Could be certainly wrong.

Miss Bookiverse 5 stars. Awesome. I'm glad you loved it, I was a bit nervous about it after having seen a lot of low rating reviews.

oliviasbooks It's beautiful, but different.

Captaincow Luckily I have this book waiting for me on my shelf :D

message 7: by oliviasbooks (last edited Apr 18, 2012 01:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

oliviasbooks Took me two months to finish. But it wasn't like chewing through molasses, but like nibbling on caramels.

Miss Bookiverse Mmmhhh, I want a sugar-high now :D