Lora's Reviews > Dark and Stormy Knights

4632071
Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read on August 10, 2011, read count: 1

Note: This review is only for Ilona Andrews' short story, A Questionable Client.

Length: 45 pages

Call me strange if you'd like, but I found Saiman interesting in the short glimpses we get of his character in Magic Bites and Magic Burns. Since I've been devouring each installment in the Kate Daniels series with vigor lately, I figured I should read the series prequel before moving any further. And when I found out that this prequel is Saiman and Kate's back story, I knew I had to check it out.

In A Questionable Client, Kate Daniels, who works for the Mercenary Guild, is hired to act as bodyguard to a very wealthy — and strange — man named Saiman. The job is only for one night but Kate will be paid $3,000 if she's able to protect Saiman from the unknown-to-her threat that wants to kill him. Since Kate is highly experienced in this line of work, it sounds pretty easy — but it turns out to be anything but that when Kate finds out what's after Saiman, and what Saiman himself is capable of.

This story is fine. Kate has all of her trademark sarcasm and her trusty Slayer in hand, and the story is a short but nice, entertaining read; you find out some things about Saiman's past that I honestly didn't see coming; and Saiman spends a fair portion of this story naked, so that was a plus for me.

I wouldn't say that this story is mandatory for readers of the Kate Daniels series, but if you have an interest in Saiman like I do, or if you're all caught up with the series and are desperate for more until the next book is released, definitely check this out.
Or, if you're new to the series and want to start from the very beginning, get a little background on what happens to Kate before the events in Magic Bites, this is a good place to start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark and Stormy Knights.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Lora, you are strange! :D
Kidding, I thought Saiman was very interesting as well.

Lora Glad to know that I'm not alone :)