Scott's Reviews > The Hallowed Hunt

Aug 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: borrowed, series
Read in August, 2011

I was loaned this by a friend, who upon hearing my distaste for Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series said, "Well try this." So I procrastinated and procrastinated and finally did read the book.

I found the first 200 or so pages slow and I powered through them - the plot didn't seem to be going anywhere, and as the book was sold to me as anything beyond "It is fantasy I think you'll enjoy" I went with standard plot expectations versus what I should have been reading for which was political intrigue, where the tropes/expectations are different. With an intrigue-focused novel, you spend the first half being lost and various non-connected items occurring, and in the second half, those items get connected together.

So I struggled for the first 200 pages due to poor expectations, and then I devoured the last 200 pages as plot points and characters started getting interconnected.

So will I go on to read books 1 and 2? Sure, the book was good - I'm not expecting to enjoy them the same, as this was more tailored for my personal preferences in imagery and tropes used whereas the others seem less inclined so, but I'm always willing to be surprised. Definitely won't be buying the other two sight unread, as Bujold is such a hit or miss author for me - I really, really dislike the character of Miles, which kills a large number of her books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hallowed Hunt.

message 1: by Howl (new) - added it

Howl If we're going to be in the same place at the same time, let me know and I'll loan them to you. I am a die-hard Bujold fan and as much as I love Miles, I think her Quintarian books are some of her best work.

Scott Don't worry too terribly much about that, I have a friend who is loaning them to me.

.... I don't recognize the handle, nor by age and location.

message 3: by Howl (new) - added it

Howl Sorry, it's Tim :P This profile is rather deliberately vague.

Scott That was my guess by ASL, but I figured I'd confirm. :)