Deborah Ideiosepius's Reviews > The Surgeon of Crowthorne

The Surgeon of Crowthorne by Simon Winchester

Aug 14, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction, historic-fiction
Recommended for: Anyone who likes reading about historical events, or events which helped shape society.
Read from August 01 to 14, 2011

I enjoyed this elegantly crafted little book; The author Simon Winchester became interested in the story of two of the people involved in writing the first edition of the Oxford English Dictionary. One was Scottish and a largely self taught academic, called Dr James Murray. The other, Dr W. C. Minor was an American who, unbeknownst to Murray and his staff at the OED was at the time incarcerated as a criminal lunatic.

This was a very interesting book; I finished it knowing more about the institution that was for many years the OED. The writing style also portrays the era in which the events occurred in such a way as to expand the knowledge of the reader and it is told through the stories of the two protagonists.

The writing style is beautiful, clean and uses the English language in a way befitting a book about an English dictionary. I would recommend it to anyone who likes reading about historical events, or about events which helped shape society.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Surgeon of Crowthorne.