Stacey's Reviews > Why Is Sex Fun? The Evolution of Human Sexuality

Why Is Sex Fun? The Evolution of Human Sexuality by Jared Diamond

Aug 18, 11

bookshelves: history, science, nonfiction, 2011-challenge
Read in August, 2011

Jared Diamond logically argues and reasonably concludes that the evolution of humans has had direct implications for the development of our current culture, in terms of sex practices and sexuality. He demonstrates the interconnectedness these things with the physical traits and characteristics determined by genes, which have evolved over time. His comparisons to other species are enlightening, and his refutations of the most valid objections to his theories are logical, even though sometimes they can be discouraging.

His prose is always clear, though sometimes redundant in proving a point - I haven't decided if this adds to the book's structure, or if I find it mildly irritating. His points are sometimes overly simplified, but this is to be expected in such a little book. He uses such different subjects as menopause, sexual signals, and sexual practices (i.e. harems, monogamy, and promiscuity) among primates, to prove his theory, that going in-depth on each topic would ruin the book's readability. And this is one of the advantages - it is very approachable, a quick read, while at the same time
thought-provoking. At times he is also whimsical, witty, and amusing, while many of the examples are intriguing and unfamiliar (to me).

What he argues occasionally seems cruel (and in some cases, he acknowledges this). Although, as he concludes from the evidence that genes and the drive for survival do not often support loyal, true monogamy (even in Pied Flycatchers, which I found incredibly disappointing), he is careful to mention that humans are messy and difficult to analyze, for many reasons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Is Sex Fun? The Evolution of Human Sexuality.

08/16/2011 page 108
08/16/2011 page 108
61.0% "Easy to read, thoroughly researched explanations for why humans are so odd (and what makes them so), compared to everybody else on the planet."