Anna (Bobs Her Hair)'s Reviews > The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer Ashley

Oct 23, 11

bookshelves: historical-romance
Recommended for: Everyone who loves romance!
Read from October 16 to 17, 2011, read count: 1

Grade: A...a solid 5 star book

I read this straight through and feel so tired the day after but it was sooooo worth it. The Madness of Lord Ian Mackensize is a book for the Keeper Shelf. Really! It was that good! Thanks so much, Nikki, putting this at the top of my TBR pile

A little bit more to come later about the "madness," the best thing about Beth, and why Ian is a keeper! But in the meantime...

***** edited to add full review *****

The Story
After being widowed for nine years and being a lady’s companion, Mrs. Beth Ackerley is ready to re-marry. Beth has inherited a fortune and has carefully accepted a long-time acquaintance’s proposal of marriage. She seeks a simple life without drama. Then, Lord Ian Mackensie enters her opera box. POW! Beth’s whole world stops. After meeting Beth, Ian knows she is what he needs to end his nightmares and ease his pain.

The Heroine
I absolutely adored Beth. She is compassionate, honorable, kind, loving, spunky, and witty. Beth’s love for Ian is tender and mature. She perceives Ian is different. Other traits in his character overwhelm the eccentricities to make him a captivating man.

On of the things I liked best about Beth’s back-story is she once had a very happy and sexually fulfilling marriage. At last! I found an author that doesn’t feel the need to lessen and/or demonize a past love. How refreshing! Further details of Beth’s past create a believably empathetic woman. She has strength of character with a streak of independence, and it’s credibly written. Beth is three-dimensional and balanced.

The Hero – What is the “madness?”
Though aptly titled, I was apprehensive to read this story. How far would Ms. Ashley require her readers to bend? Well, there wasn’t any need to be alarmed. The hero is well-written. FYI - Ian’s madness is what is commonly known as Asperger Syndrome. (AS is easy to look up on the internet. It has similarities to autism.)

Ian is commanding, sexy, blunt, vastly intelligent, and different. Kudos to the author for creating a delightfully unique hero. Ian is a survivor. The only pity you may feel is with the way he suffered in the asylum and at the hands of his father. No matter his trials, Ian is a one-of-a-kind alpha male. He pursues. He possesses. He loves his Beth. This man is a keeper! *sigh*

Overall
I LOVED The Madness of Lord Ian Mackensie. I know I will read Ian and Beth’s story several times. If you are looking for a sensual historical romance with heart then this book is for you!

My Favorite Scene
(Ian gives Beth a present.)
"I do want it," Beth said hastily. She held her hands out for it. "I'm honored."

The frown faded, to be replaced by a slight quirk of his lips. "Is it better than a new carriage and horses and a dozen frocks?"

"What are you talking about? It's a hundred times better."

"It's only a bowl."

"It's special to you, and you gave it to me." Beth took it carefully and smiled at the dragons chasing one another in eternal determination. "It's the best gift in the world."

Ian took it gently back from her and replaced it in its slot. That made sense; in here it would stay safe and unbroken.

But the kiss Ian gave her after that was anything but sensible. It was wicked and bruising, and she had no idea why he was smiling so triumphantly.
p. 187
We know why he was smiling triumphantly and I absolutely loved it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie.

10/16/2011 "Hey Nikki! I'm starting this book tonight. ;o)"
10/17/2011
100.0% "WOW! Thanks Nikki!" 4 comments

Comments (showing 1-14)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Nikki You have to read this right now, Anna! Read it !!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) It's in my TBR pile. A friend has told me it is very good and how she loves Ian. I will start it next week.

Nikki Yes!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Great review, Anna.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Thanks, Kristen! Now, I feel in the mood for some Cherise Sinclair. ;o)

Nikki Fab review my friend. I think I could also re-read this one regularly -- it was just so special. Ian and Beth were so perfect and I'm very glad you enjoyed it! :D

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) @Nikki...Thanks for giving me that final push I needed to read this book. Loved Beth and Ian so much I skimmed book 2 for their parts. Loved the honey moment in Cam's book. Lol

Nikki You're welcome! I should have kept up with Book 2 I think, even just for the Ian and Beth parts. :D

omg Ian eyeing off Cam eyeing off the honey was hilarious! And then for him to snatch it up was laugh out loud and so adorbs. So many great moments in these books. Can't wait for Hart! :D

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review, Anna! It's really such an emotional story!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Thanks, Baba! :o)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Love your review and the quote OMG <3 beautiful <3

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Thanks, Blacky! The quoted scene is one of several favorites! :) Beth and Ian deserve a shelf for best H/h couple. :)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Anna (Bobs Her Hair) wrote: "Thanks, Blacky! The quoted scene is one of several favorites! :) Beth and Ian deserve a shelf for best H/h couple. :)"

Oh yes they really do, loved them both!