Sandi's Reviews > The Most Dangerous Thing

The Most Dangerous Thing by Laura Lippman

Aug 19, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, 2011, mystery-thriller
Read in August, 2011

I recently listened to I'd Know You Anywhere and really liked Lippman's style. I was thrilled to have won this through FirstReads. I just finished reading it and realized that it's not even due to be released for another four days.

I tend to take a book with me to work to read at lunchtime. This is one that I had to leave at home because I knew that I wouldn't get any work done if I took it with me. The past and present story lines mesh together so well and nothing is as it seems.

I really like some of Lippman's narrative choices here. For some of the past scenes, she used the first person plural viewpoint. It's an interesting choice because the "we" is five kids, but you never know which one is narrating. It's as if they are narrating together as a third party. I don't even think I can explain it right, but it really works. I like how she tells the story from a variety of angles: the children as children, the children as adults, the parents when the children are young, and the parents when the children are middle-aged. It shows how every viewpoint is partly right and partly wrong.

I couldn't put this book down and I'm really looking forward to reading more of Lippman's work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Most Dangerous Thing.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by bookczuk (new)

bookczuk I read about this one on FirstReads (and am stifling my jealousy that you got a copy) and though I needed to check her out.

Sandi The best part was that I go the actual hardback before it was released. I was expecting an ARC.