Rachel's Reviews > The Space Between

The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff

Nov 21, 11

bookshelves: arcs
Read from September 08 to 11, 2011

To be quite honest, I did not want to read The Space Between. But I had the copy in my hands, and I knew I'd regret not reading it. So I did. That was one of the better decisions I've made recently. :) Brenna Yovanoff really has a knack for making what is dark and dingy seem beautiful and enlightening. What should be a gross novel about Hell and its denizens is instead a lovely novel about Earth and how love can make you.

Where do these names come from? I'm sorry, but Truman? All I can think of is The Truman Show. You know that Jim Carrey movie where his whole life is a reality show? Yeah... There are more odd ones, but I just wonder. I seem to recall the names in The Replacement being rather odd, too.

I do love the creativity here. Pandemonium is an interesting and mysterious place, filled with nooks and crannies I'd love to explore. The mythology involved is intriguing, and I always love a bit of ambiguity within good and bad. In this story, those we see as being good normally (angels especially) aren't presented as being all good, and those we normally see as bad aren't always bad. Things are being looked at from a different side, and it gives us a whole new view.

I thought the characterization was really well done, especially in the supporting characters. Everyone is distinct in their speech and actions. We can understand why Daphne does what she does and why Truman says what he says. I especially loved Raymie. Pairing the things she says with the image in my mind was always a kick.

The romance worked well for me, and I found myself dying to know just how the relationship was going to work, especially with the events close to the end. I needed to know, and the ending didn't disappoint. I also love that Brenna Yovanoff seems to like writing stand-alone books. I love series, but I also love books that are just happy on their own. I think sometimes authors get stuck in writing what they know and are afraid to branch out. But if readers love an author, they'll read whatever they write. I know that's how I feel about my favorite authors.

This dirty tale of true love is eerie and beautiful. A perfect mix.

More reviews and fun on my blog: Paper Cuts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Space Between.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) oooh so you ended up liking it! Thats great!

Rachel I did! Even though I made faces when I first started it. Lol. I hate when books make me look the fool. :P

message 3: by Lilyana (new)

Lilyana Good!!!! Did you like it better than her other novel?

Rachel Yeah! The other one was kinda weird altogether. This one started weird, but then I really liked it. Lol.