Rebecca's Reviews > A Farewell to Arms

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

Feb 13, 09

Observational tragedy. Bloke falls for sub-moron during war. *petitions friendly bombs*
Hemmingway absolves language of beauty. And then the world.
His intent was to expose war's mundanity. His method rendered art menial.
*sarcastic applause*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Farewell to Arms.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (last edited Feb 13, 2009 06:14AM) (new)

Kelly Brava! :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I disagree with you but think what you said was ballsy and funny. hence the vote...

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Why do you disagree? I would be curious to hear your argument.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

no arguments from me. or at least not on this subject. I'm not a big fan of Hemingway, though I think there is some beauty to be found in his prose.

Rebecca Imo, Hemmingway's minimalism is simply sanctified ineloquence. :D
Only the title warrants a star.

Miriam I liked your summation, Rebecca. It's a bit funny, I've gotten the same reaction -- people telling me I was "rebellious" or whatever for not liking this book... but if you look at the ratings page it seems that most people didn't like it much.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

foolish cantina women chattering
disregard the light, the serious words of men wounded, dying in the distance that can barely be heard, sanctified eloquence, no applause.

Miriam Monsieur, have you read Paul Fussel's The Great War and Modern Memory?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

If I am to learn to hate Hemingway I suppose I must.

Miriam I don't recall if Hemingway is mentioned; it is primarily about British writers. I thought you might be interested because it is study of the hostility to women reflected in WWI and post. Fussel's basic argument is that men who went to fight and suffer felt like they were encouraged to do so by women who had an unrealistic view of war as glorious and didn't understand what the soldiers went through. It seemed like you were expressing a similar sentiment.

Regine I loved the book. But I also really loved your review.

message 12: by James (last edited Oct 16, 2010 08:14PM) (new)

James Rebecca:
Try his short story:
"The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber"

A quick read, but incredible insight into the relationship between MR & MRS Macomber,
and how personal growth in one causes panic in the other.
Every couple should read this story.

Miriam Oh! I read that years and years ago, and not till your comment did it occur to me that it might have been the influence for Bennett's The Clothes They Stood Up In.

message 14: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Cannot give any weight to your comment when you can't even spell the authors name correctly.

Miriam Ryan wrote: "Cannot give any weight to your comment when you can't even spell the authors name correctly."

Might want to add an apostrophe to that sentence.

message 16: by Dgm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dgm You obviously don't get the deeper message in the book, try reading it again, and this time, don't be so critical about it.

message 17: by Md (new) - rated it 3 stars

Md It's actually really an interesting book if you were to look past the cliche parts of the story and see it as almost an adventure but with love involved. I like the setting as well...very emotional.

message 18: by Lori (new) - rated it 1 star

Lori I totally agree with your review. Major. Disappointment.