Faith Bradham's Reviews > A Clash of Kings

Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-general
Read from December 19 to 26, 2011

2 1/2 stars

Oh my, it took me forever to get through this book. Somehow Martin lost me with this one, and I could barely slog my way through. I thought the first book was pretty interesting, but for some reason I was fairly bored by this one. I don't think I'll make it on to the last three.

Part of the problem was in the structure of the novel - there were so many different plot lines that it was hard for me to stay interested in them all, and as I have no idea how he's going to tie all of them together and then resolve them, I got a little overwhelmed and subsequently lost interest in most of them.

However, I do like the way Martin crafts his characters, as he does a great job of making them all believable and adds shades of gray to them - there are hardly any characters that are ultimately evil or ultimately good, and none of the characters that gives us his/her point of view are one of the ultimately evil/good ones.

I wish he would do more with Daenerys, but I'm liking the developments as regards wargs, etc, and Tryion is fascinating. I like that Martin makes us root for almost every side - there is sympathetic character in every camp.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clash of Kings.