Tim's Reviews > Preacher, Volume 2: Until the End of the World

Preacher, Volume 2 by Garth Ennis

M_50x66
Aug 10, 11

bookshelves: comic

Vulgar, base, depraved, the raw energy that sustained the first has either worn thin, or lessened. It feels to me like there is a very thin filter between what Jesse Custer dislikes and what Ennis himself dislikes, in fact I am getting the sense that what drives this series is neither plot nor character, but rather a platform for Mr. Ennis to complain about that which in culture bothers him. The sense of the erratic and unpredictable, a less generous person would say haphazard, is strained even further. It feels to me like Ennis is picking up and dropping ideas, trying out a huge number of things to see what works, but never going back to see if they do or not. The idea that the Lord was in league with his family was the most compelling idea he had come across, yet this was unfortunately dropped, and his family removed apparently from the rest of the story. What this story needs is some cohesion, and to start picking up the discarded pieces, and it needs it in a hurry. The major subplots of Jesus De Sade and the Sexual detectives both felt tacked on, and were not compelling in the slightest. And the Sexual detectives didn't even make sense. Are they rapists on call? that is the best I can come up with.
12/23/09
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preacher, Volume 2.